So…. let’s cut to the chase.
What exercises REALLY help with Diastasis Recti?
Remember that Diastasis Recti is the division of the rectus abdominis down the vertical center, along the linea alba. More on that HERE.
So… you want to bring the muscle pieces back together, and there is a lot of NOISE out there on what you should and shouldn’t be doing.
Some places will say “do this one exercise 10 minutes a day for a month and you will be completely recovered.”
This is a very irresponsible statement, as nothing is guaranteed and every body is different. Besides the fact that it doesn’t address form and function of this “miracle exercise.”
Some places will tell you to just do tough ab work and the muscles will strengthen and therefore come together.
Also misleading, as most “hard core” exercises drive the muscle fibers further apart.
So what do you do and who do you believe?
Here’s what we teach here at CarrieFit and within The ABC Method, which is what we teach to trainers and coaches.
The foundation of your house is ABC. Anything not in ABC will not do you any favors, and in fact will hurt your progress. So, every movement, position, posture, and direction will include Alignment, Breathing, and Core Engagement.
Then with that, we have a short list of modifications when you are starting out, just so we can take the time to focus in on the important stuff…. The ABC’s.
- when lying on your back, keep your head and shoulders on the floor.
- keep one leg or foot on the ground in lying, sitting, or standing positions.
- keep at least one knee down in every kind of plank
- limit twists to absolute abdominal control (at first, we usually don’t twist from the center until we learn the function)
- no weights, pulling, or pushing, above the shoulder line, especially no pull downs or pull ups.
The, you learn the methods and go into the “next steps” protocol, where you learn where your specific modifications and your exercises should be.
For clients, head over HERE to learn more
For trainers, head over HERE and let’s talk about The ABC Method for your clients.