When can I start The ABC Method Postpartum?
I get that question in several forms:
- what should I be doing for my core immediately postpartum?
- should I be exercising immediately postpartum?
- when is an appropriate time for me to start working on my Diastasis Recti and pelvic floor postpartum?
- do I need to have release from the physician before using your practices for core?
Here’s the answer:
- Take care of yourself and your baby.
This is rule number one. When in doubt, go back to this rule. The first few weeks after birth are hard. There is a new life to care for. You just went through the birth process. Your body is processing and changing. Your baby is growing and changing. Pay attention to THAT first and do what you need to do to help yourself heal and be well for that tiny life.
2. Until you are released to exercise, when you do get up to move around and start to think about your personal healing and recovery, focus on the BASICS of The ABC Method.
This is the foundation upon which everything rests. So, from the time you are sitting, standing, and walking, that is your focus. Go back to the basics. Do the fundamentals.
Strengthening and Exercise come a little later.