Tip One: Never ever just throw yourself (or anyone) into a plank.
There’s a lot more to it than just hands and toes on the ground, which is why I progress people to this position very thoughtfully.
How to progress your plank:
- Start in all-fours. Put all of your weight onto your toes without moving ANYTHING.
- Go to your belly and push out of the floor like your body is a board (not a worm!) only to a half plank (both knees down)
- Play with pressing back through your heels and a straight leg
- Practice sealing the thighs together and pushing back onto the toes, lifting the knees.
Remember: none of this matters without correct form and a complete ABC happening throughout.
Always ask yourself:
- what is my alignment here?
- what is my breath pattern here?
- is my core correctly and fully engaged here?
If not, back up a level and start again.
Here’s a video to walk you through it:
And remember to always advocate for yourself. Only you know what is happening on the inside of you, so never let someone bully you into the wrong plank too soon.